A List of Grateful Things

This lesson was taught with our writing lesson today.  My students have been struggling with what to write.  When I saw this lesson was coming up, I thought let's put them together. 

This week is all about if you are struggling with feeling sad or mad a lot. Write a list of all of the things you are grateful for. After watching the video. I told my students to take out a piece of paper.  

Before my students got to writing what they are grateful for, I had them do a body scan.  After our body scan they their mind was more clear for this assignment.  

I showed my students my grateful list.  I wanted to show them an example in case they were struggling.  I know my students should be grateful for many things, but I don' t think they realize they should be grateful for them. 

I wrote: my family, my home, my camper, my house, my food, my favorite sports team, etc. This got their mind thinking of the things in their life and they wrote down a ton of ideas. 

I had them put this in their writing folder to help them of an idea when they get writers block. 


For the remaining of the week, my students enjoyed the movie: INSIDE OUT (Disney/Pixar, 2013). We have been assessing all week. This was a reward of doing an amazing job but also learning about their emotions). It also gives wonderful visual of all the emotions inside your body and how they react to different things. My hopes is that they take what they learned form the movie and think about those emotions to help them with Mindful Moment breaks. 

Comments