Quick STEM Project Idea

 I have a quick and easy STEM project to do with your students.  This doesn't need a ton of materials either.  It is called: The Longest Chain.

I am not sure where I got this idea, I saw it online somewhere. When I find it, I will post it.  But today was a good day to do it.  It was an indoor recess day and the students didn't need a Work N Play time because indoor recess has used up a lot of our indoor playtime.  I didn't want to the students to go on Ipads either.  So we did this activity.  You only need 20-30 minutes, depending on your students. 

You need: scissors, glue stick, and one piece of typing paper. The objective is to have the long paper chain.  I first show how to make a paper chain. Then I tell them they need to first think about how they are going to make it the longest. 

I gave my students 30 minutes.  At first, I gave them 20 minutes.  I noticed my students really struggling with this activity, so I gave them 10 more. My students really struggled with doing this project all on their own.  I think they like being in a group because their idea feed off of each other.  But they really struggled when their chain wasn't working. 

At one point I had to have them stop and all take a mindful moment together because they were really overwhelmed. I told them why we were having a MM and then all had one together. 



Comments