Movin’ and Grovin’

Do you ever notice yourself in a meeting, you kid's winter concert, or something that gets you to sit a long time? Do you notice that after 15-20 minutes, your body starts to wiggle? You may move a little in your seat, move your hands.  Your brain might start to think of other things other than what you are supposed to be paying attention to? 

Us adults realize when we are not paying attention. Kids do not.  It is our job to help them notice their body senses. When they to a point that they are not paying attention to the teacher and they body is wiggling, it is time for a break. 

BREAKS ARE OKAY. LET THE STUDENTS TAKE THEM!

Lesson 4 of A Mindful Classroom (from the MHA in Sheboygan County) is all about helping students understand their body senses.  After watching the video of the explanation, my students find a spot in the classroom to lay down.  

Then I create a story of a calming place. Normally I say a field of purple flowers, the sun is shining, and I keep going to get them totally relaxed. Then I tell them to start tensing up their body. After their body is tense, I start to tell them to relax.  I let them lay there for 3 to 4 minutes. They absolutely loved it.  

I'd recommend doing this before your day starts and at the end of the day. The end of the school day is a crazy time for my class.  I end the day with this, and they are totally relaxed (otherwise we are running around, yelling, and playing).   

Comments