How to Breathe!

 We all know how to breathe, I know. But have your ever paid attention to it.  Try to pay attention to your breathing for one minute. Set the timer, close your eyes, in, out, in out.  How do you feel? More relaxed? That is mindful breathing.  

I've used the term mindful position all week. My students do it right away and they like the new term.  When they saw mindfulness on the schedule today, they were very excited.  I'm glad to see that like it!

Today we practiced our breathing.  We sat in Mindful Position to start to make sure we are all attentive.  We watched the video and practiced with the instructor.  

We discussed how important our breathe is.  Of course, my students immediately said we would die without out it. I told yes but how we breather effects what we are doing.  I showed me them three different ways of breathing: fast, medium, and slow.  

After I showed them, I ask how we should breathe when we are in a mindful moment. They said slow. That is correct. We want our breath to be slow, in control, and the only thing we are thinking about.  No need to think about what we are doing next.  Our breath is in control for a couple of minutes for us to get back in focus.  

It is calming, relaxing, and stress relieving.  

I use this to start our day, before any lesson right after recess, and during lessons if we aren't focused.  

Now, there are many different ways to "breathe it out". The training shows my many ways.  My blogs will give an overview, but you should try to get the training at your school. 

Comments