These are a Few of my Favorite Things

My students struggle with the first STEM project we tried "Bear Cages".  Like I stated in that blog, your students are going to need time to understand and practice being in a group. 

This might be the first time these students have been in groups.  That didn't have a "normal 4K" year (2020...you know) and Kindergarten they needed to be six feet apart.  So, this isn't going to be a normal transition, but in the future you students are going to thank you. 

We reviewed what it met to have a group plan and show compassion.  I think started talking in a When I...Result sentences.  For example: 

When I yell at my group members, they are going to get mad at me and not want to be in my group. 

When I am bossy, my friends will get mad at me. 

When I am not helping my group, my friends will get upset and want me to help. 

When I am helpful, my friends will be happy. 

When I am using kind words, my friends will use kind words back.  

We read the book: The Most Magnificent Thing by Ashley Spires. It is about a girl that has a great idea.  She wants to make the "most magnificent thing". She knows that it will be a lot of work but gets frustrated and wants to quit.  She goes for a walk to cool down and then goes back to it. 

We discuss how this might happen.  We might get mad. If we do, we need to take a break. BUT my group will keep going. You can't get mad at them when you come back. The discussion was great.  I hope it changes.  



Comments