Meet Rosie!

This week's theme is FOLLOWING A GROUP PLAN

Problem solving skills is crucial in the classroom.  When they need a pencil, glue, extra directions, transitions, etc.  

My goal at the end of the school year to build those problem-solving skills and create independent students.  For some students, this is a struggle.  So, my job is to create fun ways to learn how to solve those problems.  

One way, I let them fail.  Yes, that is right. You heard it.  Some students need to fail.  What I mean about that is: if a student doesn't have a pencil. I don't intervene right away; I wait for them to figure out what to do.  I keep going with my lesson hoping they will either ask for help or finally problem solve. 

I've had it where I get done with the entire math page and they student is still sitting there without one.  If that happens, I will get the students ready for the next part of our day and then I will quietly go by that student and ask them what is happening and help them through the problem (getting a pencil from our pencil bucket and completing the work at a different time of the day). 

Another way is through STEM projects. Creating STEM projects can be difficult during the school day because it is very time consuming.  Mondays are hard with specials, so I read the story: Rosie Revere, Engineer by: Andrea Beaty. This is a story about a little girl with a dream.  She perseveres and achieves her dream.  Rosie is an amazing character. 

This goes along with a group plan because it talks about one person tries to persevere and try to achieve her dream. We talked about how in a group that might happen. You may have an idea, but your partners might not have the same idea. It is up the group to achieve a goal together. 

After the story we discuss character traits about Rosie.  Below is our anchor chart. 



Comments