I'd Like to See the Manager!

I know...NOT a Friday! We don't have school Friday, so we decided to play games today! 

We played with the same games, not new! No one wanted to play war.  I highly suggest having multiple options because children don't like the same thing longer than a couple of weeks.  But remember my tip: ASK for games from your fellow teachers.  Borrow them, then return! Don't spend all of your money!

Another good reason to play Board Games: Planning and Organization 

What I mean about this is the ability think ahead and figure out how to win.  Try to find the big picture in how to win, not just play by play.   We want them to see ahead in the future but also try to manage every turn thinking at the same time.  

For example: The game TROUBLE.  The object of the game is to get all of your pegs out of the start, around the board, and into the "home" space.   In order get your pegs out of the start you have to get a 1 or a 6. Let's say that have one peg have half across the board and three in the start.  If they get a 6, I want them to plan and think ahead.  Instead of moving their only peg, I want them to take another peg out. 

How do I help them with this? 

I walk around the room and if I see that about to happen.  I tell them their two options, hoping that pick that one! If they don't, then I tell them what they could have done and how they may win sooner. 



Comments