Work N Play

 I don't want to start an argument in here so please don't...but kids need to play! That doesn't mean that need to play all day. I'd suggest first grade play the last half hour of the day.  This will give them a brain break from the day.  These kiddos work hard, they need a time to play.  

But I'm sneaky remember? 

This Work N Play time is also them learning how to play with friends.  The students learn to be gentle with toys, share, and communicate with each other. Are you thinking, don't they already know that? No, they don't.  My group of students this year and very hard with my toys and they argue a lot during this time. 

What is Work N Play? 

I have buckets of toys all over the classroom for them to play with: cars, blocks, big kennex, Legos, little kennex, and dinosaurs for right now. I change them throughout the school year.  Four students can play at one bucket.  I will set the timer for 10-15 minutes. After that time, they clean up and switch to a different bucket. 

At this time in the year, I play with the students to get to know them.  It is fun! I also get them through an argument using I feel statements. When the students get into argument.

If students consistently don't share.  When the timer goes off I find a toy that only two of them with play at.  Yep, just those two.  And the three of us will play and share. It seems to help and I hope eventually they will be able to play with each other.  

Comments