Blurting

 I have tried it all. Cubes in their desk to take away, punch cards, I've even yelled blurt everytime they blurted, and so much more. 

How do you stop students from blurting...please comment below and help me! :)

October's theme in my classroom for social/emotional activities has been self/body control.  Size of the problem is a great way to start it out by discuss reactions to problem in hopes they have control when it is a small/medium problem.  

Blurting is an issue this school year.  Yikes! I have couple that just won't stop.  I had lunch with them today and we discuss how much blurting is going on in the classroom and we need to figure out how to stop it.  It is distracting to our learning (and annoying, but I didn't say that haha!). 

While we were eating lunch, we read the book: My Mouth is a Volcano by Julia Cook. This is about a little boy that constantly interrupts. When he has something to say in "erupts" in his mouth and he has to say it. As the story goes on this little learn how to not erupt when he has to say.  

My students and I discussed that when they have something they need to say, they are going to write it down instead of blurting. 

Will this work? I'm not sure, but I have tried it all.  And this is next on the list to try! 

Comments