The Tallest Tower or is it?

Fun Fact about me, I can be sneaky...

Yep, as a teacher you have to! How? Let me show you... 

Today we completed a STEM challenge.  The students needed to build the tallest tower using straws and tape.  I got this idea from Carly and Adam STEM.  They have a ton of back-to-school STEM challenges. 

When I find STEM challenges, this what I think about it: 

-Can my students handle this challenge? Seriously, if it is too hard you will either running around the room to help them or they will al be crying because they can't figure it out. 

-Do you have the materials or can you afford it? We teacher spend enough money in our clasroom. But straws and tape I do.  If not ask your parents for help! Parents are always willing to help. 

-Can they do it in a short amount of time? Remember you student's attention spans. If they can't figure it out in 10 minutes...they won't do it!

After I think these through I pick the right one.  My students had to build the tallest tower using TAPE and 20 STRAWS. I tell them that I can help tape but I remind them that there is only one me so they have to patiently raising to their hand to get assistance.   

I give them the first 3 minutes to figure it out themselves. I had students figure out, you but put them together by put one inside of another. 

After a while I showed them three blocks to help them think they needed a base. 

Now...the sneaky part. I put them in group with students I know they are going to argue with. Yes, I know MEAN. But, it is really not about if they can make the tallest tower. It is to see how they react to a project not going well and how they handle CONFLICT! yep...I know...sneaky! 

All of my groups did amazing.  I had a couple of students get frustrated. I walk over to their group and tell them at arguing makes it worse. Let's talk about this.  We use I Feel statements and then go back to the group. 

I was really impressed.  They did!

These pictures below are NOT my pictures. This blog post was made the week after and I didn't take photos.  







Comments