Our Family

 I kept with the "family" theme this week.  It is so important for my students to know that we are family. And like a keep saying, students NEED visuals.  

On Monday, we read the story: Our Class is a Family by: Shannon Olson . After that the students colored and cut their own house.  All the different designs showed the students personalities.  I love it! Today we did the writing portion of this.  

Beginning of the year writing for first graders can be very hard. So I try to be patient and I don't expect a lot. I have the students finish this this: Our classroom is a family because______.  And they have to finish it.  When finished their writing, they colored around the words.  



When students are coloring an activity like this in the beginning of the school year. I like to sit and color with them and listen to them talk to each other.  I sat next to a little girl today and she talked about how she liked all colors of the rainbow.  Her friend next to her said she couldn't like all the colors, she could along like one of them. First graders make me laugh.  

Comments