My Why

My Why...

Reading, math, reading, writing, reading, social studies, reading, science, reading, phonics...all of this gets jumped down our throats as educators. 

-Make sure they reach a certain reading level by the end of the year...

-Make sure you've reached the right number of minutes in each subject...

-complete all assessments by a certain date...

It is all about the data. Data, data, data.  

But what about the whole child: What do they like to do? What are their dislikes? What is their family like? Siblings? Pets? Do they travel? Do they like to play outside? Do they like to play indoors? What makes them laugh? What is their favorite food? Have they been to a park? 

I think some people forget about that.  I want to know my students before I teach them.  I want them to know I can be their safe person. I want them to feel welcomed, accepted, treated fairly, and the most part: loved.  

This blog is how I achieve it.  This school year (2021-2022) is the year I incorporate social emotional activities into my lesson plans.  I have always done it, but it gets put on the back burner because I didn't get to a certain subject that day, so I teach that. But this year is different, I'll make it happen.  Don't worry admin, the students will still hit their academic goals. 

But...A loved child is a happy child.  A happy and accepted child shows more progress in academics. My why is for them because I see the whole child not a piece of data. 

Comments